Tuesday, November 30, 2010

sheets and succubi

The rain is sheeting down. Hey where did that metaphor come from and how does it work?

It's probably nautical (sheets meaning rigging ropes) but I think more of gauzy or filmy sheets when I think of rain. Like the filmy nightgown of a pursuing succubus in a crypto lesbian vampire flick. Geez I had to go and ruin the moment with some smart arsed pop reference. Believe me, my subconscious is full of seductive succubi, but who can blame a lad when his mother's favourite bible passage stars The Whore of Babylon riding the many headed beast ?

Back to rain & filmy sheets. I guess rain drops are obvious parrallels to the atomic substrate of things. Maybe thats why i find rain calming - it hints at the ultimate fluidity of things - the buzzy jumpy little atoms inside everything - we're not so trapped, microscopically speaking by the meat solid illusion of our bodies, the iron bed, the bed side table lampness of things. It was the Colonel in the dining room with the candlestick. Brain headline: Rain dilutes world.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a fan of the rain myself--and gauze covered succubi.

    The rain brings a sense of serenity to me. It is one of the few times when I feel that the world functions properly, and everything seems to make sense. It cleans the streets, and brings about a fresh atmosphere.

    As for the lesbian vampire flicks...I'll be in my bunk.

    ReplyDelete